ICAR is a coalition of 27 organizations working to promote solutions to the problem of agunot and mesoravot get (women whose husbands are unable or unwilling to grant them a Jewish divorce), in accordance with Halacha (Jewish Law). ICAR unites social-welfare, women’s, human rights, and social justice organizations, as well as academic centers, serving as an umbrella organization for groups with differing and varied religious approaches.
For a list of our member organization click here.
ICAR's goal is to bring about a situation in which no woman is trapped in the confines of marriage against her will and that no woman should have to pay for her freedom. ICAR's mission is to ultimately eliminate the problem of Agunot and Mesuravot Get.
ICAR works in many different ways to promote the rights and advancement of Agunot and Mesuravot Get. Our activities include:
- Constructing this Website as a venue for raising public awareness.
- Advocating for legislative reforms that will improve and relieve the plight of agunot and mesuravot get.
- Educating the public regarding Halachic and legal solutions to the problem.
- Encouraging the use of the existing Halchic and legal solutions and efforts by the various religious movements to discover new solutions
- Encouraging the use of prenuptial agreements
ICAR would like to thank our generous supporters:
The New Israel Fund
The Cummings Foundation
The Blaustein Foundation